Can a Multi core CPU server be configured to allow the OS to see all the cores as a single CPU and there by allowing the processor to function as a single CPU?
A lot of modern day servers are multicore CPUs. Are they ways for all the CPU cores to report as 1 CPU to the OS? This would be handy to run applications was designed for a single CPU.
What you’re asking is
“Can I run a single threaded application on a multi-core machine and take full advantage of all the cores?”
The answer is : no
A single threaded application can only run on one core and will never be able to use more resources than that single core can provide.
- Multi-core P2V single-core performance
- Can a Single Virtual Core on a ESXi VM use more then 1 physical core?
- Disable CPU cores in bios?
- Can I utilize the full performance of a hypervisor’s physical CPU cores when running a high CPU usage appliciation inside a VM?
- VMware + SQL Server – sqlserver.exe not using both CPU cores