I’ve recently installed a DPM2007 server on Server 2003 and have set up a protection group against a server 2003 server running SQL 2005 SP3.
The SQL server in question has a full backup (as a sql agent job) once a day and transaction log backups hourly. These are zipped up and FTP’d to a server offsite by a scheduled task.
Since adding the DPM job I’m receiving many error messages:
DPM tried to do a SQL log backup,
either as part of a backup job or a
recovery to latest point in time job.
The SQL log backup job has detected a
discontinuity in the SQL log chain for
database SERVER_NAMEDB_Name since the
last backup. All incremental backup
jobs will fail until an express full
My google-fu suggests that I need to change the full backup my sqlagent job is running to a copy_only job. But I think this means that I can’t use that backup with the transaction_logs to restore the database if the building (including the DPM server) burns down.
I’m sure I’m missing something obvious and thought I’d see what the hivemind suggests.
It is an option to set-up a co-located DPM server elsewhere and have DPM stream the backup but that’s obviously more expensive than the current set up.
Many thanks in advance
Your Google-fu is correct. When your full backup runs from the SQL Agent job, the RESTORE chain for the DPM backup sequence is broken, and DPM no longer has context on the previous log files.
Running the SQL Agent backup as copy-only will work, as it does not break the RESTORE chain. Taking a full backup with this option does not make the new backup a new base – it does not clear any of the differential bitmaps and doesn’t interfere with the DPM backups.
It’s difficult to maintain two backup chains simultaneously, as each one will interfere with the other.
- Can DPM 2007 back up Active Directory?
- How to get e-mail notification of successful backup jobs with DPM 2010?
- DPM 2010 System Protection Job fails because backup location unwriteable
- What backup restoration solutions for SQL Server 2005/2008 will most closely match my requirements?
- What does SQL Server do if you select more than 1 full backup when doing a restore?
Leave a comment
- Windows File Permissions and Attributes
- What is the easiest way to upgrade my existing Perl 5.14 to Perl 5.16 on FreeBSD 9 using the ports system?
- Know if mysql has done its job
- Redirect https .com to https .co.uk without a valid SSL cert on .com without DNS change
- Why is it a bad idea to use customer email as from address