I’ve tried with the only two options that look feasible:
- [...] Add features to an existing installation
- Launch a wizard to change your edition of SQL Server 2008 [...]
But in the Features Selection step, Management Studio never appears as an option.
What can I do?
I haven’t looked further into this but can confirm this is what happens – perhaps due to the service pack levels differing? (installed instance being SP1 and the tool installer not)
I just used control panel and changed the installed SQL 2008 to remove the database service instance.
Then I installed the MSSQL 2008 Express edition that includes the standard tools – and the option for management studio was there to check… not an elegant solution but it worked – so I didn’t bother to figure out the original problem.
- SQL Server Express 2008 R2 with old Management Studio?
- SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Install
- Trouble installing SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Unable to restore database using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
- No Reporting Server connect option in SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Express