I am completely new to this; in the past, I could make a simple site in Visual Studio and use ws_ftp to upload files to the server. But now, we’re leasing our own server from 1and1, and here’s what they said:
“you actually lease a server from us. You will need to either administer the server directly through Remote Desktop or take advantage of your Parallels Small Business Panel. Your operating system is Windows Web Server 2008. I do not know if the server comes preinstalled with asp.net 4.0, but you do have full administrator access to your server and can install any necessary software.“
My goal is to make a small website in Visual Studio / vb / asp.net 4.0.
I really don’t even know what a “server” is, but could anybody offer any basic simple steps that I’ll need to do now that I have my own server? I’m confused about what I need to download in order to manipulate the server (remote desktop, parallels small business panel, etc.).
So any guidance anybody could offer me, like some simple, basic steps I need to take, or the difference between now and when I used to just have a website hosted on one of theier servers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
How you access your server is up to you FTP and remote desktop are the most common tools for this. Microsoft 2008 Server does not come with a default mail server you can use for pop3. You may need to look at something like this http://www.iis.net/community/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1678
IIS will need to be configured… link – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323972
If you open the Parallels Small Business Panel you should be able to configure a lot of this without needing Microsoft Server 2008 knowledge.
- How do I limit the number of remote desktop connections per user (Win 2008)
- How to configure Remote desktop on window server 2008 R2?
- Remote Desktop Users via Group Policy Server 2008
- Windows Server Remote Desktop Services: Share Remote Desktop Session
- Windows Server 2008 Remote Desktop – Error 9003 – Desktop Windows Manager
Leave a comment
- Is there a way for administrators to disable users from installing Firefox extensions?
- Is there research material on NTP accuracy available?
- How to create a limited “domain admin” that does not have access to domain controllers?
- Can Windows RDC admin users be immune from being kicked?
- Domain Administrators account policy (After PCI audit)