Is there a Solaris utility which reports the minimum free space on a file system over the preceding 168 hours (one week)? The concern with using a nightly df is that there might be intraday jobs which nearly exhaust disk space when they run, but clean up after themselves so there’s no apparent problem when df runs. I don’t believe there is any built-in system that does this, but nearly every monitoring system I’ve ever [...]Continue Reading »
The sar manpage says : pgpgin/s – Total number of kilobytes the system paged in from disk per second. pgpgout/s – Total number of kilobytes the system paged out to disk per second. fault/s – Number of page faults (major + minor) made by the system per second. This is not a count of page faults that generate I/O, because some page faults can be resolved without I/O. majflt/s – Number of major faults the [...]Continue Reading »
OK, this is frustrating, my site got thousands of page views/connections in the last 3 days and finally we ran out of monthly bandwidth. We bought more bandwidth and closed the site for maintenance. We checked the logs and found a responsible IP and banned it, but when we opened the site the attack continued. This time it was from multiple IPs from different countries, they visited different pages of our website thousands of times. [...]Continue Reading »
I have a colocation facility with my main firewall in it. It has a bunch of site-to-site VPN tunnels built from the main firewall to the firewalls that are in the remote facilities. I want to replace that main firewall with a Cisco ASA but I want to reduce downtime. I want to put the ASA in and configure VPN tunnels to the new firewalls in the remote facilities without taking down the VPN tunnels [...]Continue Reading »
[as a precursor to this, since it is my first question, I assure you that I will check the correct answer and not leave your responses unnoticed and unappreciated (I'm active on StackOverflow and AskDifferent)] I’ve searched about a bit and haven’t found a good answer to this question, so I’ve decided to ask my first one on serverfault: We are in the process of migrating our clients from a MediaTemple dv server to a [...]Continue Reading »
We have recently purchased a server which is running Hyper-V 2008 R2 bare metal. The server has two quad-core Intel Xeon processors with hyperthreading, so if I’m understanding correctly this gives us 16 cores. Within Hyper-V we have created a virtual machine running Windows Server 2008 R2 with 4 virtual processors. The processor settings screen is telling me that this represents 25% of the total system processing power. Does this mean that the remaining 75% [...]Continue Reading »
Having a bit of a problem with my hosting company rackspace cloud and SFP records. I asked them to updated it on there DNS. This is what they set it as: seonky.com. 300 IN TXT “v=spf1 ip4:ubuntu a include:22.214.171.124 ?all” However when I test it with gmail I get this: Received-SPF: unknown (google.com: domain of firstname.lastname@example.org uses a mechanism not recognized by this client. unknown mechanisms: )) client-ip=126.96.36.199; Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=permerror (google.com: domain of email@example.com [...]Continue Reading »
We have 1 Active Directory forest and domain. We have 1 exchange 2010 server (on windows server 2008 SP2) managing all the email (delivery, receipt, and mailbox store). We were planning to add another exchange 2010 server to this setup so that we can distribute the load of the mailboxes to the second server. To be precise, given say 10 mailboxes , we would like to store 5 on one server and 5 on the [...]Continue Reading »
I’ve made a big mistake on one of my sites and I’ve deleted accidentally several files from our site’s joomla directory. The database was Ok, so what I tried to do was to create a Joomla installation from scratch, and after having it working restoring the database through MySQL. But there’s a problem with this. After restoring the database I get all the content back (part of the images are gone, it’s gonna be dificult [...]Continue Reading »
I have a few servers running WordPress. I am using IIS with MySQL. One keeps faulting; I reset the MySQL server and it works well for a few hours and after that I start getting “Error establishing a database connection”. The MySQL is up and I can log in to it as root or regular user, locally or remotely. I see nothing special in SHOW PROCESSLIST;, but the aborted connections do increase. I’m running on [...]Continue Reading »
- Cron expression that runs every 5 minutes from 1:30 am – 6:00 am [duplicate]
- Understanding redundant power supplies
- Is there a way for administrators to disable users from installing Firefox extensions?
- Is there research material on NTP accuracy available?
- How to create a limited “domain admin” that does not have access to domain controllers?