I am having issues with tcp connections between two instances in EC2. I thought at first it was the tools I was using (JRuby on Rails stack + MongoDB) when I saw exceptions such as the following in my code:
A Mongo::OperationFailure occurred in foo#bar:Mongo::OperationFailure .bundle/jruby/1.8/gems/mongo-1.6.2/lib/mongo/util/tcp_socket.rb:76:in `read'
So thinking this is a software issue, I didn’t come to ServerFault. I thought the IO classes in JRuby might be hosed after some research but that wasn’t accurate. I went ahead and installed Ruby 1.9.3 and moved the entire stack over to it. Sure enough after a while, a similar exception creeped up:
A Errno::ETIMEDOUT occurred in anotherfoo#anotherbar:Connection timed out mongo (1.6.2) lib/mongo/util/tcp_socket.rb:70:in `readpartial'
The reason I come to serverfault for help is because I do believe this might be some inter zone timeout issue in Amazon’s infrastructure and I was wondering if any can verify or give me suggestions for how to further debug this as I’m running out of solutions. My app server is in us-east-1a. The mongodb server is in us-east-1c. Perhaps that could be a reason? Why might I bet getting these timeouts using a default Amazon Linux AMI (64-bit, XLARGE)?
Newsflash: networking is unreliable. Whether it’s EC2 or local colo, sometimes your network won’t perform as you might like it to. If your code isn’t capable of handling that, you will have problems no matter where you’re hosting.
That being said, EC2 availability zones are geographically dispersed, so it’s unreasonable to expect that the networking will be as reliable as a LAN (or even within the same AZ). Moving things into the same AZ might improve your reliability, but not to the point that you can hope to get away with code that doesn’t take the occasional network hiccup into account. So, fix your code so that it catches appropriate exceptions and retries the failed operation.
- Is there any additional costs for data transfer between zones (Amazon EC2)
- amazon aws – regional data transfer – in/out/between EC2 Avail Zones
- Amazon EC2: how would I configure EC2 for a global public web app?
- Are Amazon EC2 Private IPs reachable from any instance running in EC2?
- Amazon Linux vs. Ubuntu for Amazon EC2
Leave a comment
- Is there a way for administrators to disable users from installing Firefox extensions?
- Is there research material on NTP accuracy available?
- How to create a limited “domain admin” that does not have access to domain controllers?
- Can Windows RDC admin users be immune from being kicked?
- Domain Administrators account policy (After PCI audit)