I am using CentOS 5 with Plesk 9 (64-bit), I am running a site where users will be uploading pictures. With a 64 bit os, are there any limits to how many files I can store? All I care about is performance, and serving up the files. I’d prefer not to have 4 directories deep of scattered files. However, I am hoping, that at some point I could have 200-300 thousand images.
“There is a limit of 32k (32768)
subdirectories in a single directory,
a limitation likely of only academic
interest, as many people don’t even
have that many files (though huge mail
servers may need to keep that in
mind). The ext2 inode specification
allows for over 100 trillion files to
reside in a single directory”
Further reading showed that ext3 doesn’t have a 32K limitation, which can be empirically proven with
a=0; i=1; while [ $a == 0 ]; do touch $i; a=$?; let i++; done
but it does have a 32K folder limit for folder, which can be tested with
a=0; i=1; while [ $a == 0 ]; do mkdir $i; a=$?; let i++; done
This (unfounded) claim says that
ReiserFS has no trouble at all with
hundreds of thousands of files in a
single directory. flabdablet – February 1, 2007
This question from sister site stackoverflow.com could help too.
- There is a limit to the amount of directories,
- You should keep your files/directories under 32K, but can go a lot further,
- The file system you are using does matter.
- optimal folder structure for storing 100k files on a USB drive
- How many files can I have directly under a directory in ext3?
- Bash snippet to move all files in a directory into that directory
- Max total files in a directory in FreeBSD 6 ufs?
- Maximum Number of Files in a Single Directory for Netapp NFS mounts on Linux
Leave a comment
- Windows File Permissions and Attributes
- What is the easiest way to upgrade my existing Perl 5.14 to Perl 5.16 on FreeBSD 9 using the ports system?
- Know if mysql has done its job
- Redirect https .com to https .co.uk without a valid SSL cert on .com without DNS change
- Why is it a bad idea to use customer email as from address