I followed this article and I have the desktop running on Ubuntu on an EC2 instance and I can connect to it from TightVNC. When I try to use Terminal, when I type certain characters, they seems to get lost. For example, I can type passw but the when I try to type d that character doesn’t appear. If I then press Enter, the Terminal window minimizes. I can’t type the character d at all. All other letters & numbers are fine. How can I fix this?
BTW, I’m using Bash in Terminal. Everything works when I SSH into the instance using PuTTY. It’s only when I use a Terminal instance from TightVNC that this problem occurs.
Not exactly and answer but VNC is a mess. I suggest you migrate to NX. Its faster and uses ssh by default. I use FreeNX on Ubuntu on EC2.
edit: I was able to replicate this bug.
- How to start with/setup AMAZON EC2 ubuntu instance from a Win Terminal?
- How to get a remote desktop / X11 with ubuntu 10.04 LTS from mac os x?
- How to get password for EC2 Linux instance?
- How to install VNC server on Linux SUSE EC2 instance?
- How to check if a program really works under under Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Services