When I open up Active Directory Users and Computers from my workstation, I receive an error:
Naming information cannot be located because:
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain
is properly configured and is currently online.
If I log in to my workstation as somebody else, it works. If I log into a different workstation using my account, it works.
All the workstations in question are running Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) or Windows Server 2008. The domain controller in question is running Windows Small Business Server 2008.
Everything else (that I tried) in the Remote Server Administration Tools runs just fine.
Edit: I just tried reinstalling RSAT. No such luck.
Sounds to me like the issue exists with the computer or your account. I’m hesitant to think its an issue with your account since you say ADUC works on other computers, presumably with your account.
Does the computer you try this from have a connection to the network? I would assume so, but it might not be a bad idea to do a release and renew from the command prompt. Also verify the IP settings to make sure they are valid for your network.
The computer you are trying this from, is it on the domain? If not add it then try ADUC. If it is, check the computer name and make sure an object exists for it in Active Directory. If the object exists, try removing the computer from the domain through System Properties and re-adding it to the domain after a reboot.
If none of that helps I’m bout out of ideas… I will update if I think of anything else.
- Reliability and Performance Monitor Data Collector Set : Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password
- Why is it bad to have a weak mysql user password?
- Set up user’s profile on a new Windows domain computer without user’s password or reset
- How to create a local user with the same name as a likewise domain user?
- Unknown web server password prompt
Leave a comment
- Cron expression that runs every 5 minutes from 1:30 am – 6:00 am [duplicate]
- Understanding redundant power supplies
- Is there a way for administrators to disable users from installing Firefox extensions?
- Is there research material on NTP accuracy available?
- How to create a limited “domain admin” that does not have access to domain controllers?