Active Directory, OpenLDAP or Apple’s Open Directory have different schemas for holding user info and group membership. Having a Open Directory here I can say for example that user’s Distinguished Name is attribute
dn, while it seems to be
distinguishedName for AD.
Is there a site that references how the main DS hold the info, and if not why not start to list them here? I searched for it but couldn’t find it.
I’m looking for the following:
- distinguished name
- email address
- username (aka login)
- real name (aka full name)
- member list
You would have to look at documentation from each vendor, and your own internal documentation as well.
LDAP schemas can be (and often are) extensively customized to meet local needs.
For Open Directory/OS X
LDAP In General
This page has a good list – See in particular:
RFC 2256 (LDAP Schema)
RFC 2307 (LDAP as a Network Information Service
RFC 4519 (Even More LDAP Schema Extensions)
If you use
sudo there are LDAP extensions for that too
- Looking for Exchange alternatives for email, calendar and directory serivices
- Active Directory using Samba/Open LDAP for user accounts
- MS Active Directory as a simple LDAP server
- How do I determine if an Apple Open Directory user is disabled via LDAP?
- Web front-end for directory servers (LDAP) similar to phpMySQLAdmin?